Kiwanis Miracle League at Prospect Meadows
Kiwanis Miracle League at Prospect Meadows (KML@PM), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, was organized in 2019 by representatives from four area Kiwanis Clubs and Prospect Meadows.
KML@PM has organized spring and fall seasons to provide opportunities for children with disabilities to play Miracle League baseball, regardless of their abilities. Six weeks of games will begin around the first week of May through June and around the middle of August through September for the fall season. To participate, see below.
Utilizing the Marion Metro Kiwanis Miracle Field at Prospect Meadows, KML@PM removes barriers that keep children with mental and physical disabilities off the baseball field so they may experience the joy of America’s favorite pastime.
The KML@PM teams play on a custom-designed, rubberized turf field that accommodates wheelchairs and other assistive devices while helping to prevent injuries.
With traditional baseball there are additional barriers to participation that relate to specific player abilities. Miracle League games differ from traditional games because they are less about baseball and all about fun! With the Kiwanis Miracle League all player abilities are accommodated with these simple rules:
- Every player bats once each inning (each game has two innings)
- All base runners are safe
- Every player scores a run before the inning is over (last one up hits a grand slam)
- Community volunteers serve as “buddies” to assist the players
- Every game ends in a tie
At every game “buddies” assist each player in hitting the ball and “running” the bases. Buddies can be fellow schoolmates, parents, college students, business leaders or anyone who wishes to volunteer their time to give a child the gift of baseball. The bond that develops between buddies and players has to be experienced!
Players become “just a regular kid, not a kid with a disability,” while parents can relax and enjoy watching the game – cheering on their children as they round the bases! It’s about so much more than just playing a game. The children’s self-esteem grows, they make friends, and they feel less isolated. For volunteers, families, and players the benefits gained by everyone involved are tremendous.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
PLAYERS - The Miracle League is free for children aged 21 and under to play. If your child would like to play in our league CLICK HERE
VOLUNTEERS - Our league relies on lots of volunteers to make the games safe and fun for our players. We need Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Buddies (aged 14 and up), and general volunteers who are available on Saturdays during our spring and fall seasons
SPONSORS – To keep the league free and accessible to all players we rely on sponsors and donations. Expenses include equipment, official jerseys for our players, and buddy tee shirts given to the volunteers.
- Personal donations can be made at the Kiwanis Miracle League at Prospect Meadows online giving site. CLICK HERE to donate.
- Buddy Tee Shirt Sponsorships: Every volunteer gets to take home a buddy tee shirt. We are offering your company’s logo on the sleeve of all Buddy Shirts. Prices vary by the number of shirts purchased. If this interests you please email us for more details.
- Corporate Banner Sales: Marion Metro Kiwanis holds the BBQ Rendezvous the first Saturday in June each year. The proceeds of this event and banner sales are used to fund our league. Sponsorship packages for the BBQ and Miracle League are being offered to businesses or individuals wanting to get involved. Thousands of people are going to walk by our field every week. Our field is right inside the front gate and will be a great landmark. Your company’s message will be very visible here. CLICK HERE for more information.